Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Take Two... IKEA hack



Take two (2x2) IKEA Expedits and two Antonius units and build a work table for my sewing room:
I built a base for the Expedits out of scrap 2x4's and pressboard... first time using a pocket jig!
I spent 4 weeks painting walls and rearranging and organizing my master bedroom and sewing area. I'd paint one section of wall, rearrange furniture, paint another section of wall, repeat....

I also spent some time online, looking at craft/sewing tables and playing around with variations. When I  thought of attaching the Antonius units to two Expedit units, I knew it was what I really wanted.  

Building the table took a week and a half- most of that was waiting for paint to dry while I worked on other parts of the room. It took another two weeks to get everything put back into the sewing area, but it is organized!



Base is primed and painted, the 2x4 frame is 34 1/2 x 27 1/2".
The pressboard measures 27 1/2 x 37 1/2"
I wanted the table to be 36-38" tall. The Expedits are 31", the base with the feet added 6" and the top of the table brought it to 38", which is been a nice height for me. I've folded fabric, painted, sorted, and wrapped presents on it with no complaints from my back!
I added feet to the base and attached the base to the Expedits.
The feet are in far enough I won't hit my toes. 
right side up!
 I covered the unpainted section between the Expedits by glueing down
piece of whiteboard and I caulked along the edges.

I had two Antonius wire basket units that were a little too tall at 41" to be a work surface. IKEA doesn't sell the Antonius units at this height anymore. If they did I would have just bought two more, cut them down a bit, attached them together and put a top and called it good.  Instead,  I cut them down a few inches and attached them to the back of the Expedit units to make a larger work surface, and lots more storage.
Cutting line for shortening the Antonius units, I measured very carefully! 
Cable ties! 
Height difference- before and after.



I made clips to attach the Antonius units to the Expedits from plumbing tape.


"L" brackets - getting ready for the table top!

The plywood table top is 48 x 50" 

I added hooks to hang some of my rulers on the end. Eventually I'll
add a x-divider in the middle section for paper and fabric rolls. 

 One set of drawers on each side and the work table is finished! 
Storage above the table for scissors and rotary cutters.

1 comment:

  1. I love your table! It looks great! I hope to someday have a place for crafts!

    ReplyDelete